Rule 8.106 Money Paid Into Court

(A) When Court Order Required. Except as otherwise provided by law or when the money is in the form of cash bonds, the clerk may not perform services in handling money under MCL 600.2529(1)(f) without a signed order of the court.

(B) Disposition of Interest Earned. If the clerk deposits money in an interest-bearing account, the clerk retains as a fee one-tenth of the interest earned, but not more than $100 each year or part of the year. The fee must be deposited in the county general fund, as required by law. The balance of the interest earned and the principal must be disbursed to the persons entitled to the balance.

(C) Accounts; Records. The accounts of the clerk with the banks in which the money is directed to be deposited must be kept in a single trust fund, with the designation of the rights in the fund appearing on the court’s records.

(D) Orders to Pay out Funds. Orders on the banks for the payment of money out of court are made payable to the order of the person entitled to the money or of that person’s duly authorized attorney, and must specify in what action or on what account the money is to be paid out, and the time when the judgment or order authorizing the payment was made.

(E) NSF Checks. A court may assess costs for reasonable expenses incurred for checks returned to the court due to insufficient funds.