(A) Closing by Sworn Statement. In unsupervised administration, a personal representative may close an estate by filing a sworn closing statement under MCL 700.3954 or 700.3988.
(B) Formal Proceedings.
(1) Requirements for Order of Complete Estate Settlement under MCL 700.3952. An estate being administered in supervised administration must be closed by an order for complete estate settlement under MCL 700.3952. All other estates may be closed under that provision. A petition for complete estate settlement must state the relief requested. If the petitioner requests a determination of testacy, the petitioner must comply with the requirements of the statute and court rules dealing with a determination of testacy in a formal proceeding.
(2) Requirements for Settlement Order under MCL 700.3953. A personal representative or a devisee may file a petition for a settlement order under MCL 700.3953; only in an estate being administered under a will admitted to probate in an informal proceeding. The petition may not contain a request for a determination of the decedent testacy status in a formal proceeding.
(3) Discharge. A personal representative may petition for discharge from liability with notice to the interested persons. A personal representative who files such a petition with the court must also file the papers described in MCR 5.310(C) and (D), as applicable, proofs of service of those papers that are required to be served on interested persons, and such other papers as the court may require. The court may order the personal representative discharged if the court is satisfied that the personal representative has properly administered the estate.
(4) Other Requests for Relief. With respect to other requests for relief, the petitioner must file appropriate papers to support the request for relief.
(5) Order. If the estate administration is completed, the order entered under MCL 700.3952 or MCL 700.3953 shall, in addition to any other relief, terminate the personal representative's authority and close the estate.
(C) Closing of Reopened Estate. After completion of the reopened estate administration, the personal representative shall proceed to close the estate by filing a petition under MCL 700.3952 or MCL 700.3953 or a supplemental closing statement under MCL 700.3954. If a supplemental closing statement is filed, the personal representative must serve a copy on each interested person. If an objection is not filed within 28 days, the personal representative is entitled to receive a supplemental certificate of completion.